News

Pet poisoned by antifreeze

Thursday, 9 February 2017

Pet poisoned  by antifreeze thumbnailPicture of ‘Stitch’ taken by owner Michelle, when ill health forced her to stay in bed.

A BALLYMONEY woman whose beloved cat had to be put to sleep after suspected antifreeze poisoning wants to make the public aware of the fatal risk to their pets that this substance poses. Michelle Clarke of Tudor Oaks says her "big dote Stitch", a big ginger and white tom cat, is the fourth cat in her area to die in this way in a very short number of days.
Michelle says: "Our gorgeous Stitch was poisoned. My daughter Anna is heartbroken too, he was her cat, we got him when she was four years old and she is 18 now. He wasn't just a pet, he was a huge part of our family and we are heartbroken."
“I came home last Tuesday and knew he wasn't well. I took him to the vets and the following evening he had to be put to sleep. You have no idea how upset I was, I cried myself sore, he meant so much to me.
“I've been sick this last 13 years and he's been my constant companion; always with me, a real big dote, not a pet, but part of the family. If I was in bed, he'd be there too."
The vet told Michelle that antifreeze, which causes kidney failure in cats, was suspected as the cause of Stitch's death.
“There's been far colder years than this one and there never was a problem with antifreeze," she said, "apparently cats love it, they are very attracted to it because of its sweet taste and all it takes is a teaspoonful to kill them."

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete