News

National Trust signs could ‘mislead’ visitors

Thursday, 22 March 2018

National Trust signs could "mislead" visitors into thinking there's no public right of way to the Giant's Causeway.
That's the view of a councillor who has since secured colleagues backing to investigate and assert the rights of way throughout the world heritage site.
Padraig McShane brought the notice of motion before the council's Leisure and Environment committee last week.
He told the chamber: "It is our belief that he National Trust have erected signs at parts of the World Heritage Site that could mislead the public into believing they do not have a right of way to walk some of the most iconic parts of the site."
Mr McShane called on the council to fulfil its statutory duty to investigate and assert the public's right to cross National Trust land.
He received unanimous backing from the committee.
The Chronicle understands complaints over the signs had already been made to the council and staff were engaging with Trust officials over rights of way.
Councillor McShane said his motion was aimed at strengthening their position and the public's knowledge about their rights.
"Council acted immediately following the erecting of misleading signs at the site by writing to the National Trust in January 2017 to request an explanation.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete