Sports

Carols not together

Thursday, 24 November 2016

A DECISION by the council to refuse funding for one of Ballymoney's most iconic and successful cross community events has been described as "dreadful" and "not sending out the right signal" by one of the participants. However the Minister of First Ballymoney Presbyterian Church has given his "guarantee" that the 17th annual Carols Together will go ahead anyway.
Carols Together is a cross community event that has gone from strength to strength over the years, with upwards of 800 people walking between four of Ballymoney's main churches, singing carols in every one.
Confirming the refusal a spokesperson for Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council (CC&G) said that the project description didn't meet their Good Relations criteria as outlined in the guidelines, but added that a Good Relations Officer is to meet with the organisers this Thursday. Mrs Olive Harvey, of St Patrick's Church of Ireland, said that refusing funding, "wasn't sending out the right signal, especially for a new council."
“It's very disappointing, we have been going almost 20 years and it's a truly cross community event," she said, "you don't have to be religious to come along and enjoy a few carols. They gave us the grant last year, that 500 or so allows us to buy the mince pies, shortbread and hot drinks afterwards."

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete